Information for Artists
Do Printfest take commission on sales?
Printfest is mainly self-funded, the majority of funds are from artists’ stand fees and entrance fees from the public. Printfest do not take commission on sales.
How much does a stand cost?
There was an increase in stand fees in 2020 to meet, in part, the increased cost of the Coro
Main Hall Stand Fees at 2020:
Stand fee £315 when paying by BACS or Cheque.
Stand fee £325 when paying by PayPal.
The Main Hall holds 44 stands.
What size is the stand?
It comprises of five white-painted wooden panels offering an approximate hanging space of 3.5m, with 3 spotlights. Plinths, tables, stools and browsers can be brought in by the artists provided they do not creep onto visitor walkways or neighbouring stands and allow visitors to view your work closely.
What is the preferred method of hanging?
The only way to hang framed prints is to screw directly into the screen. Mirror plates work well.
How and when do you apply?
The application process begins 1st October and closes at midnight on 7th January the following year. We do not anticipate any new applications for 2021 as this is a rollover year due to Covid 19.
Application require these items:
> four images in JPG format with your name and print title as the file name (see image guidelines below),
> your 100-word artist statement for use in social media (see examples here),
> your 40-word artist statement for use in the exhibition catalogue,
> a brief CV,
> payment method.
Can you apply on-line?
On-line applications can be made by using the on-line Application Form here. We prefer on-line applications, however, we also accept applications via email and post.
Email – Download the Application Form (in Word) here, fill in your details, email with your CV and images to email@example.com stating payment method.
Post – Download the Application Form (in Word) here, fill in your details and post with your CV, memory stick (see ‘How do you send your images’ below) and cheque to: Printfest, 3 Stockbridge Lane, Ulverston, Cumbria LA12 7BG
What is the payment method?
BACS: on-line payments are the preferred method, the sort code and account number will be found on the application form.
Cheque: cheques should be made payable to ‘Ulverston Printfest’ and posted to: Printfest, 3 Stockbridge Lane, Ulverston, Cumbria LA12 7BG. They will only be cashed if your application is successful.
Paypal: Click the Paypal button to pay using Paypal, debit or credit card.
What sort of Printmaking do you accept?
We accept all types of original hand-made prints. We cannot accept mass produced reproductions, such as laser prints or giclée prints. From time to time artists ask about printing on to surfaces other than paper, which makes for interesting discussions. For types of hand-made prints see here.
Who will make the selection of artists?
Selection was made by the Printfest Team, which is made up of printmakers, artists, and art lovers, plus two invited guest judges; the Printfest Printmaker of the Year 2020/21 and Alan Stones our Patron.
Are there any awards available?
Yes, there are several awards given out each year, you can read about our Award here.
What format do the images need to be?
The four images you send need to be the best quality you can give in order for the selection panel to make the most informed selection. They should be JPGs, 300dpi and approximately 1MG file size for printing in the catalogue.
If you are unable to have your work photographed or scanned professionally, please follow these guidelines:
> use a tripod
> ensure that there is enough light available and that it is even
> ensure your image is squared up on the camera screen
> do not include the frame
> set the camera to auto
> avoid shadows
How should you label your images?
Please label your images with your name, the title of the work and the dimensions of your work eg. Surname-Firstname-Title-of-work-70x90cm. Please indicate which of the images you would like to be used in the catalogue by adding ‘Cat’ eg. Surname-Firstname-Title-of-work-70x90cm-Cat.
How do you send your images?
Email: Send your images by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Post: Memory sticks only. You can load your images to a memory stick and with your Application Form post to: Printfest, 3 Stockbridge Lane, Ulverston, Cumbria LA12 7BG
What are Printfest’s promotional activity plans?
In January 2021 flyers will be distributed to key sites in Cumbria, Manchester, Glasgow, the North East and the North West in key cultural and tourist locations. Mail Chimp campaigns go out regularly. Social media is on-going and picks up pace in March and April. Advertising takes place in the local press and tourism supplements throughout April.
1,400 catalogues are printed. We know that many visitors keep their catalogues year on year. The catalogue will carry advertising from local businesses and fellow arts organisations.
A promotional kit will be sent to exhibiting Printfest Printmakers via email for use in your area and on social media.
Terms & conditions
1. All work must be original and created by the artist.
2. All work must be hand-made prints by the artist’s hand. Mass produced reproductions (giclée and laser prints) are not accepted. Works on alternative surfaces will be considered.
3. All work displayed must be for sale.
4. Artists must be in attendance with their work throughout the Printfest weekend.
5. Artists cannot sublet their space or any part of it to another party without prior permission. Artists wanting to share a stand must each be individually selected. If one artist is declined, the remaining selected artist can go ahead alone.
6. Artists cannot display the work or services of another party without prior permission.
7. Stands are non-transferable.
8. Stand fees must be paid in full at the time of making your application or by agreement no later than 7th January.
9. Payment from selected artists is non-refundable once selection has been made.
10. Your stand fee will be refunded if not selected.
11. Please note that your application is only confirmed on receipt of payment.
12. In the event of the Printfest Art Fair being cancelled your stand fee will be refunded to you, less any expenditure made on your behalf.
13. Artists are responsible for their own public liability insurance, and insurance of their own work. We recommend joining the A-N Insurance www.a-n.co.uk/about/insurance or the SAA Gold cover www.saa.co.uk/info/group-insurance.